Saturday 14 May 2011

Wer gewinnt das Finale 2011?

You all knew a blog about Eurovision was coming, didn't you? (If you didn't, you know where that metaphorical door is).

I am a sad person, it's true. I am patriotic and I love any excuse for a good party. Which is half of the reason of why I love Eurovision so much. The other half is simply because I love it, pure and simple (but not the Hearsay song though, although I was listening to that the other day... TANGENT).

Okay, so back to the campest event of the calender. Is it the atrocious singing, the wacky costumes, the weird accents, the token saxophone player (or ice skater), the glitter or is it a mix of everything? The latter, of course. I guess another reason why I celebrate it so much is that I found a fellow Eurovision loyalist in Lauren, which always helps!

Eurovision is also an occasion to drink copious amounts of vodka
This will be our third Eurovision spent together and in all honesty, it has become almost a national holiday or anniversary of our friendship for us, so Eurovision must always be celebrated together, and this is how we do it (with style and grace, of course).

1. Choose a country to support (Not the UK) and make a T-shirt

We always watch the Semi - Finals or listen to the CD, always gets us in the mood. You pick your favourite song and then you adorn a basics Primark T-shirt with language, flags and colours of that country. Usually we use pens and last year we upgraded to glitter pens but this year, we're going to give paint a bash (I know people, hold onto your hats). A plus from this is you get high from the pen fumes so it is really a win-win situation.

Shirt from 2009, Finland came last that year but we won't talk about that...


2. Whip your scorecards out

Last year, I printed off scorecards and I will be doing the same this year. I mean, they do get abandoned halfway through due to being drunk or dancing (or both) but the sentiment is still there, with the added 'Hot' Column of course (I don't know who was judged the hottest last year but I'm pretty sure Lauren gave Milan Stankovic a ten)...

This is Mr Stankovic... (It's sad that I actually remember names as well)


3. Drink, drink till you die (or roll about the living room floor, one of the two)

You must drink alcohol at Eurovision. It is just tradition (and for the boys in our group, makes the experience far more pleasurable). This year, in support of my sexy russian, I am drinking a large bottle of vodka. I hope to be gone by half eight. You also dance when your country comes on and I guess when Blue comes on, we all must dance. That is just the rules (there are rules, Lauren and me devised them but that's another blog.

The fact that he is probably gay upsets me greatly.

And that's Eurovision in a nutshell. Any excuse for a party right? So at 8pm tomorrow night, unless you're being 'cool' and actually going out, get BBC 1 on, listen to Graham Norton's wonderful commentary and just enjoy the worst karaoke competition in the world (no-one disses my sexy russian though, okay?)


Finally, a shout - out to Fraser Shaw, just because he asked for one.






No comments:

Post a Comment