Monday 27 June 2011

Day One - 'We're flying on a jet plane'

I need to start blogging about holiday otherwise I will forget everything! So I shall start now...

Monday, 13th June 2011

Now, I do not know about you lot but I am a firm believer that the first day of any holiday includes the day you actually physically travel on. On this said day then, I got up really early, mainly because my sister woke me up by spraying perfume in my face (Not intentionally she says but I beg to differ, hurumph!). Although my face now smelled nice and floral with a hint of musky vanilla (totally making this up...), my sleep was sadly interrupted and I got up at half eight (an insane time to be out of bed), rather grumpy. Not a great start to a day that promised to be exciting and happy. My Dad was up though so I managed to spend some time with him before he went off to work in Leeds for the week. Of course, the way we spent it was naturally introducing him to the wonder that is The Jeremy Kyle Show and witnessing possibly the biggest fight I have ever seen on the show. We were both laughing our heads off! Then, we parted ways and I got showered and did a last baggage weight check before chilling for a few hours.

Rather surprisingly, not one tear fell from my eye as I bid farewell to my family (Oh, don't you love how Shakespearean it all sounds, if only there was a balcony around at the time, I would definitely have used that to emphasise the parting of ways... sort of getting ahead of myself now...). I'm usually quite a soppy person, I mean, I had a tear in my eye when I said 'Goodbye' to Laura, Devon and Jill at the food court (may as well keep the romance of the story up, right? Nothing quite romantic like dramatically waving goodbye to your friends outside a chinese place that caters for lovers of chips and cheese). Mother kindly drove me to Lisa's Dad's house (who was giving us a lift, not the house silly,Lisa's Dad!) and I piled into the car with Lisa, Lisa's Dad, Lauren and me and waved goodbye to mother. It was quite an entertaining car trip, Lisa's Dad is quite hilarious and we had a wee giggle on the way to the airport, often at the expense of poor Lisa's navigation skills!

Our wee trio then arrived at the airport and made our way to the very specifically pointed out rendezvous area and discovered we were the only ones there at the time. Cue march to Starbucks for a well-deserved hot chocolate (deserved because I had only gotten four hours sleep the night before and I was still in a state of buzz, commendable, yes I think so). Everyone then started to arrive, except for Katy, who texted to say she was going to be a wee bit later because her Mum had been stopped by the police for speeding! A dramatic start to the holiday, no? Thankfully, we all arrived safe and sound and checked in with relative ease. Of course, a little competition happened to see who had the lightest bag (thankfully, the baggage allowance was shared out amongst the group, news that was definitely well - received by the girls). At 14.8 kg, I just squeezed past it so I sighed relief, whilst Richard was 9kg. Genuinely cannot fathom how someone could travel so light! We then headed to security, my 'favourite part' of the whole airport experience. You could be a nun going through security and you would still feel incredibly guilty. I also managed to be the only one in the party to set off the buzzers which was of course, quite pleasant. But I made it through, despite all my worrying that I was going to be accused of some atrocious crime, falsely of course. Then, we went through Duty Free, where upon getting excited about two massive bottles of smirnoff  for £18 was dashed when it for non - EU flights only! Oh, I cannot describe the sadness felt amongst the group, it was almost tangible in a sad, depressed way. We then headed to Wetherspoons (naturally) where I enjoyed a nice Kopparberg before heading to WHSmith for a customary airplane scran, including a rather tasty chicken fajita wrap, om nom nom! I exited WHSmith to see a whoosh of Richard and Scott running which meant our gate was open, we marched in an orderly fashion to the gate where we only had to wait for ten minutes before we boarded the plane.

Lauren, me and Amy in 'Spoons' in Glasgow Airport!


Due to the fact there were two different booking references, six of were seated in the back of the plane and two were seated in the front. Now, because Lauren and me are just top guys, we decided to take one for the team and sit in the two at the front. It was at this point that I realised I did not have my leaver's hoody on my person, a fact I mentioned to Lauren but thought it was pointless going to find it now and resolved to find it when I got back from holiday (let's face it, I did not need a hoody for where I was going). An announcement in the plane said "A hoody from Duncanrig Secondary School has been found, if this is your hoody, please make yourself known to a member of the flight crew". And so my hoody was returned to me (despite it being the shitest hoody ever, I am rather attached to the darn thing).

A smooth take-off, fruit pot courtesy of Lauren, Lauren and me dancing to tunes on her iPod and a smooth landing later, we arrived in Bulgaria! We were ushered down the steps (where the iconic warm holiday breeze hit our faces) and were bussed to the airport and through passport control and baggage reclaim. The whole process took around half an hour which isn't bad. We then found our way to our travel rep and were told to get on bus thirty-eight and we all did the traditional thing of sitting at the back of the bus. Our drop-off was second and we arrived at the Poseidon Hotel. It looked nice in the photos but in reality, it was just sheer impressive. It also has a supermarket in the actual hotel which was twenty-four hour (very handy, if you get what I'm saying, especially selling schnapps for around a fiver). We checked in, got a security deposit box and then went to our respective rooms. Lauren and me were genuinely impressed with our apartment, it was actually livable. The bathroom contained a corner bath, with a step, there was a phone above the toliet. a microwave and hob and just many wonderful things to be honest.

Our gorgeous hotel, shaped like a ship because of the 'Poseidon movie', less tragic though!


We then decided we would fully utilise the supermarket's epic openess and get some nibbles in before we decided to unpack and be tidy holidaymakers (this was mainly due to the fact it was six o clock in the morning and we were not even tired). We finally decided to collapse on the sofa bed at quarter past seven and the plan was to fall asleep whilst watching MTV but due to the Sofa bed's sandy lumpiness, we retired to the bedroom and slept quite soundly for a few hours.

Lauren getting underway with the un-packing!

No comments:

Post a Comment