Friday 1 October 2010

'Hello, I'm Yer Maw Tbh'...

The above quotation was taken from the University of Strathclyde... On the back of a toliet door. It's quite amazing how university - level students can still resort to humorous language such as that although I can't lie, it did make my day slightly! I would like to make a point about the one thing about the union. I do not like and that is the ATM outside. I'm all for equality and providing services to everyone but only an  'Oompa Loompa' would be able to extract cash! If I use it, I will have permanent back problems for life! Therefore, it is a midget ATM! (Maybe feisty Ellyn could use this...)

It's been an interesting week. Tuesday started with a lovely 9am Economics lecture. Even though I decided not to take it, I deeply considered it, mainly because the lecturer had a nice irish accent which reminded me of Dougal out of 'Father Ted'. It was very soothing! After another lecture, and a trek up that god-awful hill, Sarah, my lovely irish friend, invited me back to her lovely flat and I met some of her lovely flatmates whilst enjoying a lovely cheese savoury sub from Gregg's. All in all, as you have gathered, it was quite lovely! I had other lectures during the day as well and was thoroughly impressed with Hospitality and Tourism Management in particular. After university, I grabbed a train to work and enjoyed a meal in McDonalds beforehand. Needless to say, I was absolutely knackered towards the end of the day.

I would zoom in, then you may enjoy it...


Wednesday brought another relentless early start and the heaviest rain I have ever seen since last year's Strathclyde (coincidentally) open day. I'm ashamed to admit that I slept during two lectures and at one point I startled myself awake and the people surrounding me chuckled. My bad. Thankfully, Sarah kept me awake towards the end, with a friendly slap on the shoulder! Afterwards, I headed to the library to discuss the commonwealth project with Sonya (although it turned into a Facebook session which is conviently not filtered in the university computers!) and then attended the first EnviroSoc meeting, which was very insightful. Plus, I met a nice young chap from Skye and we must have talked for about half an hour, it was great! Also, I have put my name forward to be the group's social convenor. I really dispise my quick-thinking process that decides to put myself forward for these things when I can't talk about why I'm good for the job because I'm in no way experienced in this line of work but what the heck, I'll go for it anyway, What's the worst that could happen? (Well, apart from a nurse broadcasting to the whole school via radio about your sore finger, which people perceive to be your penis instead! If you don't have a clue what I'm talking about, this might jog your short-term memory - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnG3ZQ3EBKc ). I also attended AINSEC that evening as well, which could be very beneficial to my degree, so watch this space!

Thursday went better than expected. Bus was late though, so I was late meeting up with the team (Sorry guys!) but we sorted things out and eventually made it to the commonwealth presentation. I had the sixth sense in that, I guessed that virtually no-one in my team would present the poster so yet again (thanks quick-thinking process, again...) I volunteered with Phil and we balanced the whole thing out whilst the others acted as 'Creative Directors' and made the poster. We were the first ones to go up to my dismay but as I did and then sat down again, I felt like I actually made a really good bash at it! I didn't mess my words up, or develop that annoying stutter that only pops up when I'm nervous so I was pretty pleased! The manager, from Proctor and Gamble stated that is was 'outstanding' and 'the best from all the classes she had seen so far'! I don't mean to sound up myself, or that I am blowing my own trumpet but even the manager said that in Scotland, we have an attitude of not giving recognition to our strengths and instead, emphasise our weaknesses. Personally, although I am a massive culprit of this attitude, I know there are things I am good at but I am too worried about people thinking I'm so far up my own arse, my head is in my stomach! I got some criticism too. I struggle with criticism, I can't lie but I took it constructively and held my head high! After that, I went to the library to kill three hours and completed my individual assignment (which I had to bullshit my way to 250 words, it was quite difficult) then had another epic facebook session! Finally, I headed to the debating meeting where I enjoyed a glass (or plastic tumbler) of wine and a bottle of apple wkd (or poof juice)! The debate itself was hilarious and I absolutely loved it! I cannot wait to go back next week!

Anyway, that's enough for now, I've probably screen-burned lines upon lines of writing into your eyes permanently!

That good enough, Ellyn?

No comments:

Post a Comment